Sunday 29 May 2016

Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens...


Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

We all know the beautiful song from "The Sound of Music" that tells us to think of our favorite things when we are feeling down.  Although my favorite things are not the same as Maria's here are some pictures of thing I am passionate about and that I think of when I want to be happy :)

This is my Creative Dance class.  Creative dance is an introduction to musical theatre for children ages 5-7 where they learn the basics of dance and acting on stage. I love teaching these wonderful children every week and helping them have fun and be creative.  They are so full of joy and every week their happiness and excitement to dance reminds we how much I love to work with children :)
This is my oldest acting class. These girls are learning the basics of stage acting and improvisation. This was my first year teaching this class and it helped me realize how much I love teaching drama.  I have always been passionate about drama and theatre and it has been so amazing to share my passion with others and help theme see how amazing this form of art is. 
This is a picture of a scene I directed as part of my grade 12 drama class.  Canterbury Drama has become a big part of my life over the last four year and I have learned so much. When your in grade 12 you have to choose a 15min scene, find actors, make a set, get costume, and direct the scene in a three week period.  It is a big deal because it is your moment to show everyone everything you have learned in the drama program and showcase your style as a director.  My scene went incredibly well and although it was a lot of hard work it helped me remember how much I love theatre and how much I have learned through the Canterbury Drama program.
This is a picture of a scene from my grade 12 grad project in my drama class.  With a group of 12 grade 12 students we created a show about choice and what choice means to us as grade 12 students.  This was an incredible experience and we took this show to the Sears Ontario Drama festival with 11 of the best high school show in Ontario.  Being at the festival showed me that theatre was the world I wanted to be a part of.  I have been a part of a lot of social circles with athletic people and scholarly people but never have I felt as at home than with theatre people.

I talk a lot about drama and theatre because it is a big part of my life but that is not the only thing I love to do or the only thing I am passionate about.  I love to ski, read, dance, and spend time with my friends and family but the more I think about it I know that if I could only choose one thing to do for the rest of my life I would choose theatre. 



2 comments:

  1. Abby! I love the idea of having a favourite memory reel, things that you can run through when you're feeling a bit down. I think I will do something similar!! I have been trying to do this in practising mindfulness and really being in control of my own head and thoughts. And you have so many amazing accomplishments!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much I have been so fortunate to be part of so many amazing projects. Another trick I use is every night before I go to bed I write down 7 positive things that happened to me that day. I find that by doing this no matter how my day went I know that positive things happened and I go to bed happy. :)

    ReplyDelete